How to Clean an Aerobed, Blow Up Mattress, or Bed With an Air Mattress
An inflatable mattress makes a great addition to any household—whether you decide to take one camping, use it to plump up a futon cushion, or just keep one around for unexpected guests. But what do you do when your mattress is caked with mud from your spring camping trip, your cat decides to pee on it, or your house guest spills spaghetti?
Clean Out a Stain on a Blow up or Inflatable Mattress
The following guide will help you to clean any stain from your air inflatable mattress.
- Clean any stains as soon as possible. Fresh stains are easier to remove than stains that have set in.
- Identify the material. What the mattress is made of will determine how it can be cleaned. Is your bed made of PVC, velor, suede, vinyl, fabric, or a combination?
- Identify the stain. You will need to know what you are removing before you can find the best solution to do so.
- Remove any excess stain. Blot liquid stains with a clean white cloth or paper towel. Do not rub. Scrap off solid stains (such as mud) with a dull knife or spatula.
- Is your air mattress machine washable? If so, then you can toss it into the washing machine with a mild detergent, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Determine how extensive the stain is. Does it involve dirt, dust, or mold that could be cleaned with a surface cleaning? If so, spray the mattress with a soap-and-water or vinegar-and-water solution, use a sponge to remove the debris, and then remove any residue with water. Since cleansers can alter fabrics, test first at an inconspicuous area, such as a seam. If the stain is persistent or ground-in, repeat the process but use a soft-bristled brush instead of a sponge.
- If you can go outside, rinse the mattress with a garden hose. Otherwise, rinse the mattress in a shower.
- Stand the inflatable mattress on its side and allow it to air dry. Do not place in the dryer unless the manufacturer’s instructions state this method is acceptable.
Start with mild soaps (like vinegar and water) and if they don’t do the job, then try something stronger. Doing this will help prevent discoloration. Diluted peroxide seems to work well if there are urine stains.
Make sure the mattress dries properly so that you do not get mold. If you get mold, then you’ll need to use some diluted bleach to make sure it’s completely removed.
How to Clean Urine Out of an Air Mattress
- First, get a dry cloth or towel and blot the area where the urine is. Do not rub the area as that may just drive the stain in further.
- Next, put baking soda on the stained area to help absorb the rest of it.
- Next, remove the baking soda after several minutes (10 minutes should be fine).
- Create a mixture of vinegar and water – go with 1 part vinegar to 1 part water (so a 50/50 mix). Use a paper towel and rub the mixture into the stained area.
- Let that sit another few minutes and then blot the moisture away with a paper towel or dry cloth.
- Put baking soda on the area again and let it sit there several hours.
- Later, vacuum up the baking soda and let the air mattress air out. Let it sit outside if possible.
Type of Air Mattresses and Why They’re Good/Bad
Your choices for inflating mattresses, such as inflatable mattresses, are limitless. There are types made of all different materials. Some are meant to be an absolute replacement for a standard mattress while others are simply temporary replacement. Once you know what to look for and what to expect, you can decide what type of inflatable mattress is right for you.
One type is the insole mattress. These are made of high density foam that is designed to cushion and conform to your body. They can be quite expensive, but they can provide you with comfort while still being comfortable enough for a bed of your own. Because they are inflated with air, these mattresses have many advantages over traditional mattresses that are traditionally filled with air. They are lightweight, making them easy to move around.
Another benefit of the inflating mattresses is the ability to move them around so you can find the best position to give you the best support. The air will fill the mattress and help keep it in its optimal position. Even when you are sleeping on your side, the insole can adjust to your position to help provide the right support.
These mattresses can also offer great benefits from the portable insole to the air inflated mattress. With the use of an air tank or similar product, the insole can be added to any mattress you already own. You do not need to buy a brand new insole, but you can easily refill it to add to your current mattress.
Disadvantages of Using Air Mattresses
However, there are some disadvantages of using an air mattress for a bed. Although they can help you avoid sleeping on your back, if you roll over too hard, they can actually get in the way of a good night’s sleep. They are also not for someone who finds themselves lying on their stomach because of chronic problems. Inflating mattresses to use as a bed for a pet is also possible. Most people are not comfortable with the idea of using an inflatable mattress on their pet, but they need to be considered in some cases. You may want to check into the use of a mini-inflator to test this idea out. When the dog sleeps on it, it will allow your pet to be able to get a full night’s rest without losing mobility.
What About Air Mattresses and Kids?
If you are shopping for an inflatable mattress for a child, then you should check into the following: who made it? What sort of safety standards were used? Who used it and who recommends it? It will also be important to check the actual packaging and what is inside for any allergies.
Popular Styles and Prices
Some of the more popular styles of the insole mattress include footrest inners, queen, king, double king, and twin king owners. All of these sizes have differing shapes and sizes. The types of material used to make these mattresses can vary from synthetic to fiber, wood to fiber and other kinds of material.
The price of the mattress will also differ. With an inflatable mattress, the quality and amount of padding can vary greatly. Not every manufacturer uses the same quality of materials in their mattresses. It may be worth your time to do some comparison shopping to see how much you can really save when you buy in bulk.
The same with the pricing; you will be able to find different types of features on each one. A large number of styles, shapes, sizes and densities will all be available for you to choose from. Also, the designs and styles can range from contemporary to vintage, to unique designs and even looks. Each one will have different prices.
Many of these mattresses come with warranties that are valid for as long as you own the mattress. However, the quality of the materials used, the materials that are used to fill the mattress, and the maintenance of the mattress can all affect the length of the warranty. Some mattresses that are sold with a guarantee are likely to be very low quality, but some may still be good for years. however, when you buy from a reputable manufacturer.
We hope these tips and information about inflatable mattresses helped you. If you still cannot get it clean, then try other cleaners or else get some professional help at a dry cleaner. And, please feel free to leave some comments about what worked best for you.Incoming Searches:
- how to get urine smell out of airbed